Makes 6 large scones.
Simple and quick no cutters needed!
320g self-raising flour, extra for dusting
Sprinkle of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
90g vegan vegetable spread
130ml soy/almond or coconut milk,
Vegan cream and jam to serve.
1.Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Add the vegetable spread and rub together with your fingers until you have fine breadcrumbs.
3. Slowly add the milk into the flour mixture stirring to form a large dough ball.
4. Wrap the dough ball in cling film and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Lightly dust your surface with flour and pull apart a dough ball about the size of a medium egg. Mould the dough with your hands to form a ball and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Flatten the top of your scone with your hand so it sticks to the baking paper and to make sure you leave a 2cm gap between each ball.
6. Brush the tops and sides of the dough balls with some vegan milk.
7. Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Serve with jam and vegan cream, if you like.
I use Vitalite vegan spread and Koko fresh coconut milk. These are my personal favourites for cooking.